Master Air Waybill Completion
CBP requirements may affect how a Master Air Waybill (MAWB) is filled out.
- Shipper Information - For consolidations, the name and address of the forwarder involved is sufficient. For non-consolidations, the name and address of the actual shipper should be used.
- Consignee Information - For consolidation shipments, the identity of the forwarder, container station or broker is enough. For non-consolidated shipments, the name and address of the actual consignee should be used.
- Cargo Description - For all consolidated shipments, including those with only one House Air Waybill associated with the master, the description indicated in the Nature and Quantity of Goods box should read "Consolidation as per Attached Manifest." For non-consolidated shipments, a complete and accurate description should be indicated.
- Quantity - While the number of pieces tendered needs to be shown in the No. of Pieces box, the total number of internal pieces tendered (Shipper Load and Count, or SLAC), must also be shown in the Nature and Quantity of Goods box, below the Consolidation statement. For example, if 2 skids, each containing 25 pieces, are tendered, "2" would be entered in the No. of Pieces box, while the Nature and Quantity of Goods box would show "SLAC - 50 pieces."
- Customer Loaded Containers (CLCs) - For CLCs, the number of pieces contained in the container should be expressed as a "said to contain" statement in the Nature and Quantity of Goods box. The shipper must also clearly indicate on the source document, consol manifest or pallet tag which HAWB, including number of pieces, is loaded in each CLC. For example, if a customer-loaded LD3 containing 150 individual pieces is tendered, the entry in the No. of Pieces box would be "1," and, "Said to Contain 150 pieces" would be entered in the Nature and Quantity of Goods box.
- FIRMS and AGT Codes - For companies transmitting their information through AMS directly to CBP, the AGT code must be entered in the Handling Information box using the following format: AGT-XXXX (e.g., AGT-B123). If a shipment is being transferred upon arrival to a bonded facility, the FIRMS (Facilities Information and Resources Management System) code must also be written in the Handling Information box using the following format: FIRMS-XXXX (e.g., FIRMS-A123).